Saturday, April 20, 2013

Thoughts on exercise

I don't get to exercise as much as I would like to. Or rather, I don't make as much time for exercise as I aught to. I enjoy exercise in general. In the past I have enjoyed soccer, ultimate, and even a bit of basketball (though I cannot claim to ever have had much skill in that last one). For solo exercise, I actually somewhat enjoy using an elliptical, and I think that I would like to run at least a half-marathon at some point. Maybe I should make myself an official 'bucket list', but that is not what this post is about.

The primary problems for me are motivation and time management. In terms of motivation, I almost always enjoy the exercise while I am doing it, and I typically feel pretty good afterward as well. For some reason, though, it can be hard to drag myself out of bed or away from the computer to actually start the activity.

The issue of time management has become more pronounced lately. I used to hit the gym on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. However, about a month ago we got a dog. What this means, though, is that I typically take him on a walk every morning and evening, which takes about 20 minutes. So while I do get some exercise every day, it is not very intense. I have considered running a bit on these walks, and I may start doing that.

Another option is to start going to the gym in the evenings, but that takes time away from my family. So this post comes to an end without any real resolution, but rather just some thoughts which have been bouncing around my head lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment