Tuesday, April 29, 2014

SCIENCE! continued

This is a continuation/update from my last post.

First off, as I said in the update to the previous post, the time lapse that we took overnight to try to make a video of the dye progressions, well, it didn't work so well. But I did add a new image to that post which shows off some of the dye showing up on the outside of the unopened blossoms.

The science experiment continues, and has definitely had some interesting aspects to it. My son's enthusiasm has waned a bit, but I think that is to be expected of a 5 year old. Of course, today he proudly proclaimed "I have a hypothesis! I think the leaves are going to turn purple!" (The show Dinosaur Train (warning: sound on that web page) has a character that makes lots of hypotheses).

Figure yes our counter is messy, for Science! (hush)

One of the things that my wife and I found really neat was that the dye seems to be separating out and we can see some blue highlights. The edges look a bit more purple to me today than it had previously, which is pretty neat. Plus, there now seems to be some of the dye showing up on the interior of some of the petals, where previously it had seemed to be confined to the edges. Also, one of the blossoms that had been previously closed has started to open, which was something I wasn't expecting. 

Figure this is my favorite picture from this project so far

Finally, because this flower has just started blooming, I've now set it up with the webcam and ChronoLapse to see if I can get a time lapse video of it opening. I think I may have to add some more water to the vase tomorrow though. It isn't in danger of drying out, but I want to make sure that it won't. I also think we added enough dye the first time that we won't have to add any more even if we double the current volume of water.








No comments:

Post a Comment