Thursday, January 2, 2014

Goals

So yeah, this thing that I never update.

Interesting thing about last year's posts, besides the fact that I didn't make very many of them. The most popular one was Building gcc 4.8. Mostly because it actually got linked in a Stack Overflow answer about the same thing. That was a point of pride for me :).

Looking forward to the future though, I have a few goals. Posting more on here is not one of them. I may post more, I may not. Last year I kind of stopped posting because I moved in July, and then I moved again in November. Between packing, unpacking, and unpacking again (movers did the packing for the second move), this kind of got left by the wayside. Anyway, on to some of my actual goals for 2014:

Fitness:

  • Do 2000 pushups, this actually seems pretty low. But if I hit it, I can always up the count next year
  • Spend 2000 minutes on exercise machines probably elipticals, though I think I'll count an actual bicycle toward this as well
  • Run a 5K, no walking. My eventual goal is a half-marathon (and maybe a full marathon someday, but we'll start with the half). But I want achievable goals for 2014, and I'm not sure the half-marathon is achievable for me

Household:

  • Build a 6 foot tall bookshelf. I built a solid pine 4' x 4' bookshelf a couple years ago. It is the strongest, and best looking bookshelf we own. It costs a lot more than the cheapo particle board ones, but the end result, and the experience, are worth it.
  • Play 36 board games during the year with my son. It is a way for me to spend quality time with my child as well as building his love for a hobby I love.
Technology/Professional:
  • Get a MySQL certification, I have to do more and more with databases, getting a certification is probably a good idea, at least from a resume perspective.
  • Submit at least one conference or journal paper where I am the lead author. I've got one in mind, but I'm not sure it is publication worthy
  • Complete at least 1 online course and get the certificate, I'm signed up for Convex Optimization through Stanford online, you can join me there if you'd like.
Well, there they are. They should be achievable. I'll start on them tomorrow, or this weekend at the latest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment